Wednesday, February 15, 2012

How long does it take a two year old pug to get use to a new puppy pug brought into the house?

My two year old pug, Peach, has always been the only one for two years. Now today I just brought home a new pug puppy, Daisy, and Peach who is always so sweet and loving is now snapping and barking at the new puppy when it comes near her. Will this last forever or is it something they both have to get use too? I really love both of them and I want things with them to get better :-(

How long does it take a two year old pug to get use to a new puppy pug brought into the house?
First of all, YEAH FOR PUGS! (I have a 2 1/2 year old %26amp; a 10-month old).



Take care of the problem now. Before I got my 2nd pug I had a boston terrier and my pug and her would go at it (blood all over). They would bite each other so hard and even with me pulling them apart would keep their teeth clenched down.



When I bought the 2nd pug (I took the terrier to a rescue group) they instantly bonded. I heard it's hard to have same sex dogs. But go to training class and scold Peach for growling or punking the new pup. When she scowls throw her on her back and let the puppy walk around her. One thing that will make it easier if you decide to go to a trainer is to write down every time Peach growls at the new pup. Is it when they are eating? Or when Daisy tries to play with a toy? Or maybe when Daisy tries to touch Peach?
Reply:Pugs can be notorious for not wanting to share a home with any other dog. Make sure she still gets her "respect" as the older and first dog! I'd spend some real quality time down on the floor interacting with both and supervising their activities.



Now it is not unusual for a adult female to take over the role of "mother" to a pup. They set the house rules and can help housetrain the pup by example. I've fostered many moms/litters and moms can be intense with pups at times, nipping or snapping at--but not really biting down. They are teaching respect. Give it time and be patient with both. The pup wants to play and Peach is just not sure at this point.



My Peach is my top pack dog for me--keeps everyone in line and teaches the young dogs for me. I fostered pups a lot for years for the rescue. It normally works itself out.


No comments:

Post a Comment